Thursday, May 17, 2007

Pain Relief

So far we have had three antenatal classes. The third class was on pain relief options and so we talked about all the options from entonox, to pethidine, to epidural. I have thought about the different options from time to time and am not really making a firm decision about anything. I have decided that I would like to go through labour as intervention free as possible. I don't think that women who make it through labour without any form of pain relief are any more special or stronger (though in some cases I guess they are) than those that have all that is on offer. Despite this there is this desire in me to make it through as naturally as possible.

I'm not too keen on an epidural I think primarily because I don't really want a catheter and I don't think I want to have no feeling from waste down. And as much as epidurals can help to relax your muscles more this in turn can also mean you can add an hour to labour... eek! Isn't it long enough already? Having never had any opioids before I don't know how I'll take to pethidine. It might be nice for getting a little shut eye but I don't want to be totally out of it either.

So my plan...

Entonox - gas and air is pretty tame and can work wonders.

Ryan - my right had man and I will certainly take advantage of his smooth loving hands and get rubs downs.

Water - birthing pool if available (but not to give birth in or just hot shower. Bath while at home

Breathing - kinda essential anyway but I will endeavour to make it effective.

Having said all this at the end of the day if it gets too much I'll go with whatever makes me happy.

I wonder if it will come to this?!



I have however been thinking more lately about the role of prayer in labour. Having our baby is going to be one of the most amazing experiences of our lives. God has blessed us with this opportunity and there is not doubt that He will be with us (and already is) from that first contraction through to greeting our little bundle. God has never said that life was made to be cruisey and so I don't expect labour to be pain free but I do think that if I focus on Him then maybe I will feel His abundant love over the worst of the pain.